Sunday, February 14, 2016

Playing Catch Up

I've always wanted to have a blog, but school, work, and being a local titleholder leave me with very little free time. However, for those that enjoy reading about my experiences or want to know a little more about how the Miss America Organization works, I want to try to be a little more regular.

So, I'm going to start by playing catch up.

Visiting Arkansas Children's Hospital last May was one of the highlights of my year, both pageant and non-pageant related. It's one of those experiences that makes you a little more appreciative of the crown that you wear. To compete, a contestant must raise $100 per local (after the fourth preliminary, you no longer have that requirement), $250 to compete at the state level, and $500 to compete at Miss America. This may sound like a lot, but I've found that people are very willing to give to such a worthy cause. Further, the Miss America Organization has raised over $10 million since partnering with CMN. We toured the facilities and got to see first hand why Arkansas Children's Hospital is a place that truly makes a child's visit the most positive experience it can be. As we were leaving, a mom pulled Chelsy Jones, Aubrianna Burroughs, and myself aside and asked if we would come say hi to her little girl who did pageants, but was in the hospital for seizures. I can honestly tell you that almost a year later, that sweet little girl still holds a place in my heart and I've followed every minute of her journey since then. Watching her light up when we put our crowns on her head was extremely fulfilling, and I get emotional thinking about it.

Before the water works start and I get completely distracted, I'm going to move on to my week at Miss Arkansas.

I had two goals going into that week. I wanted to win an interview award and make the Top 10. While I didn't make the Top 10 (and more on that experience later), I did receive an Alpha Interview award. That award goes to a first time contestant at the state pageant in each of the three groups. One of my favorite pictures from the week is Laura and I reaching to each other when our names were called.

I thought I would be terrified when I stepped onto that stage. However, every time I was on the Miss Arkansas stage I just felt at peace. After 3 years and 20 preliminaries, I was getting to experience the Miss Arkansas pageant. I had worked for it; I was in the gym four times a week leading up to the pageant, doing mock interview after mock interview, and singing my talent every time someone wasn't looking. When you get there, you just find peace knowing you've done all you can do.

Look, they fed us pizza, chips and cheese dip, and dessert during the week of Miss Arkansas. Contestants spend all of this time making sure they eat right and working out so that we score all of the points we can in swimsuit, and then we pig out the entire week of the pageant. I don't even know what else to say :)

I miss that week so bad. We stayed at ASMSA in Hot Springs, which made the whole week feel like Miss Arkansas summer camp. Every time a girl's name was called for an award, I swelled inside with pride. I spent the week admiring all of the work and passion each girl puts into her time as a local titleholder, and I would've been happy for anyone that won the coveted title. In all honesty though, Loren McDaniel is the perfect choice. She's talented, brilliant, and driven.

A little bit about Loren...

  • She is pursuing her Masters in Theatre Arts in Alabama after her reign is up and will do so debt free thanks to the Miss America Organization.
  • Although she was eligible to compete for one more year, she decided that this last year would be her last to compete so that she could focus solely on grad school in another state. 
  • Knowing how desperately she wanted this opportunity and that this would be her final shot, I kind've rooted for her to win. So, congrats sweet girl :D
I feel like I could write pages and pages and pages about the experience, but I won't because that's ridiculous and I'd actually like someone to read my posts. Just know this: if you are thinking about competing, are thinking about giving up, are wondering whether or not to let your daughter compete... Competing in this organization is something I will never regret, even if it takes me 20 more preliminaries next time to get back to Miss Arkansas. I've met some of my best friends, grown as a woman, and made some fantastic memories. Don't give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment