Sunday, February 14, 2016

A Big Weekend

Let me start off by saying that I've waited a long time to experience all that this weekend had to offer. Last year, after 13 preliminaries I sat down and cried. While I was obviously sad that I would not get to compete for the title of Miss Arkansas, I was more sad that I wouldn't get to tour Arkansas Children's Hospital or volunteer for some events that were titleholder exclusive. When I won back in October, I was ecstatic to finally be privy to the perks that come with being a Miss Arkansas preliminary titleholder. However, I definitely felt some serious withdrawals over the last few months, because I was use to being surrounded by my Miss Arkansas sisters every few weeks while performing and speaking about the things that make me passionate during onstage question and interview. The lottery held me over for a little bit, but I was HUNGRY to have another little piece of the Miss Arkansas action.

We kicked the weekend off with the Spring Contestant Meeting. It was really the first chance we've had to have all 46 contestants in the room (sans Kelli Collins because she had something else going on), and it was awesome to meet some new women and really start to form those friendships that make Miss Arkansas week a blast. It was quite enlightening listening to what was expected of us and the future Miss Arkansas, and Ashton did a great job highlighting what has made her year so far great. Something that really stuck out to me was her comment that her crown was made to be beat up. Every time that a child dropped her crown and another point was broken, she was fulfilling her role a little more. Honestly, I'm pretty protective of my crown. It took me 20 preliminaries to win that crown and it terrifies me to think of it getting messed up. But, she is right. I want to make a little girl's week when she gets to wear my crown and feel like a princess. I want to inspire young girls to compete when they are older. I didn't want to win a preliminary solely so I could have a shiny object on my head. I want to make a difference in the life of every person I meet, and being protective of my crown is not the way to do it. So, thank you Miss Arkansas 2014 for impacting my outlook on my time as a titleholder.

We also did some daybreak shots that will be featured on Channel 7 during the week of Miss Arkansas, so check those out. We also took our group shots, and that was pretty cool! I finally feel like I'm about to compete for Miss Arkansas!

After all of that seriousness, we got to put on a different pair of heels and partake in Spikes and Stilettos. This was a cocktail party where the contestants got to meet and celebrate the sponsors and golfers that make the Miss Arkansas Golf Classic happen. I wasn't really sure what to expect. At other banquets at which I've volunteered, it was usually our responsibility to chat up everyone and ask them to buy something. They don't always want to talk or spend money, and it can get a little awkward. My favorite part of those events is learning about a new cause to be passionate about and hearing the background of everyone I meet.
This cocktail party was the best of both worlds. Everyone was willing to chat and tell me who they were and how they were affiliated. We were all there to celebrate the organization that brought us together. The band rocked, and the food was awesome. I had a blast singing Redneck Woman with my fellow Miss Arkansas sisters and dancing around Leslie and her selfie stick (shoutout to my fabulous roommate)! It was just an all around awesome experience, and I'm so thankful we have sponsors such as OneBanc and Silent Circle.

Today we were suppose to have both the Miss Arkansas Golf Classic, one of the largest fundraisers for scholarships, and our visit to Arkansas Children's Hospital. Unfortunately, all the rain this week left the golf course to muddy to play on, so it has been rescheduled to the 6th of July, and I'll get to help with it then!


No comments:

Post a Comment